Feb 25, 2019
In this role-reversal of the traditional Feeling Good Podcast,
Dr. David Burns and his special guest, Dr. Rhonda Barovsky,
interview Dr. Fabrice Nye, your beloved podcast host, on the topic
of Mindfulness and Meditation, which are currently popular with the
Fabrice answers questions like these:
- What’s mindfulness? How does it differ from meditation?
- What’s the history of mindfulness as well as meditation? Did it
originate with the Buddha, or did it date back even earlier?
- What are some of the goals and potential benefits of
- Why specific exercises can you do to develop greater
- Why is mindfulness helpful? How does it work?
- Some people meditate in silence for prolonged times, like ten
days, for example. What is the goal here?
- Are there any dangers of meditation?
- How does mindfulness differ from yoga, relaxation training, and
- Some people seem to love and benefit from meditation, and
others find it uninteresting or even annoying. Why is this? What's
the difference in these two groups of people? Is it okay not to be
interested in meditation, or is something that everyone “should”
- The goal of mindfulness seems to be learning to deal more
effectively with stressful thought and feelings. Does it deal with
motivation and the resistance to change? TEAM-CBT makes us aware of
the incredible importance of resistance, and provides many methods
for reducing or eliminating resistance before you try any Method to
“help” the patient. Does Mindfulness Meditation deal with
resistance, or would it best be viewed as a method that can help
individuals who are already strongly motivated to invest time and
effort in their personal growth?